- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 (10 ounce) can canned green peas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly, until a smooth paste is formed. Gradually add milk and reserved liquid from peas, stirring constantly, until a smooth thick gravy is formed.
- Flake salmon into a bowl, breaking apart any large pieces. Stir salmon and peas into the sauce carefully with a wooden spoon to avoid mashing the peas. Cook until heated through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Toast bread in toaster oven or broiler pan. Butter, if desired, and top with salmon mixture.